By David Krasner
- Contains distinctive research of performs and playwrights, connecting issues and providing unique interpretations
- Includes insurance of non-English works and traditions to create an international view of recent drama
- Considers the impression of modernism in paintings, tune, literature, structure, society, and politics at the formation of contemporary dramatic literature
- Takes an interpretative and analytical method of smooth dramatic texts instead of targeting creation history
- Includes insurance of the ways that staging practices, layout innovations, and performing types expert the development of the dramas
Read or Download A History of Modern Drama, Volume I: 1 PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
In 1815, Goethe gave symbolic expression to his severe courting with Marianne Willemer, a lately married girl thirty-five years his junior. He gave her a leaf from the ginkgo tree, explaining that, like its deeply cleft but nonetheless entire leaf, he used to be "single but twofold. " even though it isn't identified if their courting used to be ever consummated, they did trade love poetry, and Goethe released a number of of Marianne's poems in his West-East Divan with out crediting her authorship.
Among 1838 and 1852, the major Chartist newspaper, the Northern superstar, released over one thousand poems written by means of greater than 350 poets - because the readership of the Northern big name numbered thousands, those poems have been among the main commonly learn of the Victorian period. This ebook deals an entire list of the entire poems released.
Whereas different works disguise person ethnic literary traditions, this encyclopedia is the 1st to provide a entire creation to the spectacularly varied diversity of ethnic American writing. incorporated are greater than 1100 alphabetically prepared entries by way of greater than three hundred students. whereas many of the entries are biographical, others conceal genres, ethnic stereotypes, seminal works, major areas, significant historic occasions, key items of laws, and numerous different subject matters which are a part of the context of multiethnic the United States literature.
Mediating Indianness investigates a variety of media—including print, movie, theater, ritual dance, song, recorded interviews, images, and treaty rhetoric—that were utilized in exploitative, informative, educative, maintaining, protesting, or interesting how you can negotiate local American identities and pictures.
- Locating Postcolonial Narrative Genres (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- The secret vice: Masturbation in Victorian Fiction and Medical Culture
- Aspects of Civility in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
- Jane Austen: The Critical Heritage Volume 2 1870-1940: Volume 26 (The Collected Critical Collection : 19th Century Novelists)
- Modern Primitives: Race and Language in Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemingway, and Zora Neale Hurston (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
Extra resources for A History of Modern Drama, Volume I: 1
A History of Modern Drama, Volume I: 1 by David Krasner